I absolutely love chicken pot pie. I grew up eating Mrs. Budd's and am on a mission to re-create it gluten and dairy free. A while back I posted my first attempt, which was not a huge success but not necessarily a failure either. On Friday night I decided to try again. This time I came so much closer on the filling! But it was Friday night and I was tired so I decided to make "biscuits" instead of a crust. Check out those white hockey pucks:
I have a biscuit recipe tagged from a friend of mine (I won't say who, I don't her to be associated with this utter failure). It was so easy, flour and water! Really? Awesome! So I mixed the flour and the water and baked those little balls of dough and I got... white hockey pucks. What went wrong? The recipe called for biscuit mix. Not plain flour. Oy.
After eating the delicious filling, I was mad that I had no bready type thing to go with it so I tried biscuits again. This time with more ingredients. I came close, but they were a little flat and a little too hard. Fresh out of the oven with butter though, not too bad.
I had some filling left over so I decided to try again. This time I used a pie crust recipe, Better Batter, Salt, Earth Balance, and water. Simple and easy. Chilled it, rolled it out, topped the leftovers, baked for 40 minutes.
Flaky, buttery, awesome. A little gritty and gluten free tasting but for my first pie crust EVER (GF or not) I'm pretty happy with it. I might try it the traditional way with shortening next time to see the difference. This was definitely a triumph. Not quite Mrs. Budd's yet but getting there. I'm still going to hold off on the recipe until I perfect it. Stay tuned!